Pages

Header

Figuring out how to navigate life as a Navy spouse and homeschool our three kids. Sometimes, at the end of the day, all I can manage to do is make pancakes for supper...

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Daisy v/s Skink: Round 1

This is Daisy. Daisy is pretty much your average Labrador. Loves to play fetch, wants to sit in your lap, sleeps on her back with her legs splayed, and is terrified of dishwashers. So maybe the dishwasher phobia isn't so typical, but I digress. Recently I was giving the kids dinner and I was amused by Daisy out in the yard tearing full tilt around the grill over and over and over and over and over and over. Occasionally she's stop and stick her head under the grill cover only to resume her frenetic racing in circles. Eventually she moved on to do her "I'm looking for something really really hard!" routine around the yard and I went out to investigate. As I came out she refocused her attention on a toy wagon and I noticed a teeny lizard tail sticking out. Yeah, not so much.

What we have here is a full grown male broad-headed skink. The one taking up residence in our yard is easily 7-8 inches long and they can reach lengths of up to a foot. This is what we see when we look at it. I'm pretty sure Daisy sees something more like this.

The kids soon joined me and what ensued involved lots of shrill screaming from Emma, Aiden giving chase, and the skink bolted across the yard all the while avoiding everyone and scampered up the tree. (Who knew they could do that??) While what we saw was pretty much a goofy dog running around looking earnestly for a largish lizard I'm pretty sure how Daisy saw herself was more like this:

Now she and the skink are caught in some sort of twisted cat and mouse game. Daisy is constantly looking for it when she goes outside and I'm pretty sure every now and then it shows it's face and throws insults at her to keep her interested in their epic struggle. I'll let you know how it turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment