Pages

Header

Figuring out how to navigate life as a Navy spouse and homeschool our three kids. Sometimes, at the end of the day, all I can manage to do is make pancakes for supper...

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In Case You Were Wondering

Powdered milk is NOT just a good as half and half in coffee.

This has been one of those weeks that I'd just like to get through and then forget it and move on. On Monday I forgot to text the husband to get milk on his way home so yesterday I was completely without milk in the morning. Fortunately for the kids I have a stash of powdered milk and mixed some up for the kids and all was well, until I made my second cup of coffee. My logic was something like this "Powdered milk must be JUST LIKE powdered creamer, while not awesome, it'll get the job done." So I scooped three big scoops of it in my coffee and was somewhat appalled at how little it changed the color so I poured some of the mixed up milk in my coffee. Satisfied that I had remedied the no half and half issue I sat down and took a swig. Yeah, not so much, it was absolutely undrinkable.

So what, bad coffee? Not a big deal, I just made up for it with an iced coffee from Starbucks on my way home from Sams Club with the kiddos. It's that it was one of what seems like a million things since then that has felt impossible and difficult and overwhelming. This week has felt like I've been running on a hamster wheel and there isn't any way to jump off. After getting dressed this morning and changing Madaline I picked her up and she proceeded to spit up ALL OVER both of us, I did the only reasonable thing and started crying. Not because I don't like getting spit up on me but because I just wanted to not feel like something as simple as getting dressed was rendered futile in the space of 11 seconds. The rest of the day didn't really go much better. Aiden took a rock to the head (not by his sister this time) and ended up with a minor flesh wound, the kids decided to go all kinds of Ultimate Fighter on each other, I cleaned up pee at least 4 times and I'm tired, tired down to my bones. Not so much tired from working out but tired from doing what I do all day every day and from the cycle of looking forward to a break only to have said break not happen. I know that staying home, homeschooling, having three kids, being a Navy wife, all these things are things I've chosen and I get that, but right now, I'm wallowing in self pity, just a little.

I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
~Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment