Pages

Header

Figuring out how to navigate life as a Navy spouse and homeschool our three kids. Sometimes, at the end of the day, all I can manage to do is make pancakes for supper...

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Goals, Weekly Overview and Weight Loss Challenge, OH MY!

I think the first week of reaching my weight loss goals was a success. I have kept a food journal, started following portion guidelines, cut out most sweets and alcohol and have been challenged by my Dad to a bet. First person to lose 10 pounds wins and the loser has to go visit the other person. We'll have our weekly weigh in and keep each other accountable as needed. My other motivation is a shopping spree if I accomplish my ultimate goal of 81 lbs by New Year's Day. I think I may start a savings account with a specified amount for each pound I lose to contribute to the new clothes/new me account. :)

Here are a few of my observations for the week. I have gone with a simple portion control guide that I used when I did the Zone Diet years ago. My meat serving is the size and thickness as the the palm of my hand, complex carb is the size of a closed fist and green veggie is the size of a loose fist. Because I'm still nursing a baby I have a lot more green veggies and I add some flax oil on top. Going back to some sort of portion guideline has helped me see how I was eating WAY WAY WAY more than I needed. I have one fruit and or protein smoothie a day and have whole foods for snacks like an apple or some almonds. I got myself moving on the treadmill too. I worked out 4 times and at my last work out I was able to do three intervals of slow jogging. I didn't think I'd be able to do that at all so tomorrow I'll start the "real" training for the 5 K I want to run on July 4th weekend. I can make little changes that will make a big difference. We went out for lunch today and instead of eating half an order of fried green tomatoes I had one slice. I had a shrimp salad croissant and potato salad and I brought half of it home. We even got ice cream but I got one scoop instead of 3.

A couple of goals:

Get rid of those next 10 lbs by April 15 weigh in.
Run 5 K on July 4th
Go on 1 mile "fun run" with Aiden
Lose 81 lbs by January 1, 2012 (I'll need to lose 8 lbs a month April-December to attain that number.)
Consistently follow the Couch Potato to 5 K plan.

I'm feeling really good about the start I'm off to. I FEEL good and I'm very encouraged by my big initial weight loss and by all of my friends sending me comments and emails to support me. Anyone want to make a guess at how long it's gonna take to shed those 10 lbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment