Pages

Header

Figuring out how to navigate life as a Navy spouse and homeschool our three kids. Sometimes, at the end of the day, all I can manage to do is make pancakes for supper...

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sidelined By A Horsefly

After irritating my knees a couple of weeks ago I finally got back to the Couch to 5K Training program this week.  I jumped right into the Week 3 routine, I was bored with Week 1 and I wanted to get back on track to run a 5 K July 4th weekend.  My one comment is that 3 minutes of jogging is a really, really, really, really, really, really, really long time.  I know that I'll adjust and get to where it's easier but man alive I was glad to be done with my workout on Monday.  I was all set to continue on Wednesday when I was suddenly and viciously attacked by a horsefly on Tuesday while I was at the beach with the kiddos.  I was kneeling to help the munchkins get dried off and in clean clothes when the stupid creature bit me, TWICE, on the BOTTOM OF MY FOOT.  It went something like this:

Me: "OUCH, son of a gun that hurt!"

Aiden: "What?"

Me: "A stinkin' horsefly just bit my foot!"

Aiden: "What's a horsefly?"

Me: "A really big fly that bites!"

Aiden: "Did that just hurt like the dickens!?"

Me: "YES!!"

We finished up getting cleaned up and back to the car.  I placed calls to a couple of people to look up if it was safe to take Benadryl and what to do for a horsefly bite.  I had to drive with the cruise control so I could itch and put pressure on my foot, the pain and itchiness was nearly incapacitating.  By the time we arrived at Publix 40 minutes later my ENTIRE foot was swollen and painful.  I managed to get the couple of things we needed and got home to wash my foot, apply cortisone, and wrap with gauze.  The Benadryl knocked me out and I got the best night of sleep I've had in years, however the swelling persisted well into the following day and I had to push my workout until today and I'll finish out the week on Saturday.  And THAT is how I was sidelined by a horsefly.

In other news, I did weigh on last Saturday and I'm down another pound for a grand total of 21 lbs so far, only SIXTY more to go to reach my final goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment