Pages

Header

Figuring out how to navigate life as a Navy spouse and homeschool our three kids. Sometimes, at the end of the day, all I can manage to do is make pancakes for supper...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Juggling Chain Saws

I once gave a friend a card that said:

"Any idiot can juggle chain saws, it's the day to day balloon making that wears you out." ~Anton the Clown

There are many days when I feel like poor ol' Anton. Staying home with my kids so often can seem like balloon making, nothing ever changes. I referee the same fights, fix the same dino nuggets (what part of a chicken looks like a T-rex anyway?), change the same diapers, read the same books, wash the same dishes and then I wake up the next day and, TA DA, repeat. Again. Where is the joy in that? Up until about 6 weeks ago, there wasn't much.

Unlike my name, most of my life I have not felt very joyful. Depression started as a teenager/preteen and went undiagnosed. I had glimmers and moments of happiness but overall I felt sad, flat, uninteresting, uninterested and lonely. It wasn't until our oldest was 1 1/2 that I was actually diagnosed and put on medication. That plus therapy and things were better, for awhile. I went off medication when we wanted baby number two and in the four years since then there has been a gradual decline back into the great hole that depression feels like. About 6 weeks ago now I was at our doctors office for the baby's 4 month check up. When the doctor asked me how I was doing I nearly burst into tears. I made an appointment for a couple of days later and had another stare down with the hush hush word, depression.

Simply admitting to what I had known helped and I left the doctor, prescription in hand, and felt optimistic. I know that a little blue pill doesn't fix everything, not nearly, but it removes a road block to me finding myself again. In the first week after that appointment I laughed, and I mean I really laughed, for the first time in ages. (It's hard not to when a 5 year old gets a bag of dog poop stuck in a tree but that's another story.) I started to see the beauty in the world again. The mess in the house actually started to bother me. I realized what a disservice I was doing to my kids but just yelling at them and not parenting them. I was failing in "training them in the way they should go." I realized I had completely shut myself off from my husband and from God.

My days are still incredibly busy, simply making sure three kids are fed and reasonably clean is a full time job in itself! The difference is me, it's my heart, there is joy in it again. I laugh, I love stopping and seeing the world through my kids eyes, I love teaching my children. I miss my husband deeply when he is gone now and just sitting by him on the couch is a treat, something I don't take for granted anymore.

Maybe this post is a little deep but it is the pivotal event that brought me to even writing this blog. It's my life and it's really beautiful.








1 comment:

  1. Very touching, Joy. We will of course continue to pray for you, and I'm really happy that you are enjoying yourself and your family. Love you, and we are very much looking forward to this Summer when we can see you guys for some extended periods of time!

    ReplyDelete